Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Reflection and Recovery

One of the blessings of having a baby via vaginal delivery is the noticeable recovery. Before I had the baby I was scared of recovery. I am not going to say I was wrong to fear it because it has been one of the least pleasant experiences I've ever had. However, I said that there is at least one blessing in all this. Each day I feel better. I sting less and I am surviving without my blow-up donut (for which I still mourn since it was punctured).

I remember that after the epidural wore off and I began to feel the pain from my episiotomy and tearing, I wondered why I had wanted a child. I wondered why anyone would have more children after feeling such horrible pain. I wanted to know why no one had warned me about this! My parents later told me they could tell how severe the pain was since my smiles looked more like grimaces in the pictures.

But there is hope! The next day I felt better--it still hurt, don't get me wrong, but it was better and I started feeling less bitter. Each day since I've noticed something I can do without pain or with less pain that I couldn't have done the day before. I've actually started to think about having another child someday (albeit not for some time). This really is something--just ask my poor husband.

I don't know how other recoveries go, but the blessing of recovery from delivery (besides a beautiful baby) is the daily realization of improvement. It may not seem like much the first couple days, but when you reflect on day one and compare it to day three you realize things are better. You also realize that you're beginning to forget the pain and it's starting to blur and fade slowly (at least it did for me).

I'm still in pain today as I sit on my pillow, typing, but I walked a bit faster today than I could have done comfortably yesterday. I'm sitting on a pillow without wincing and pining over my donut (Okay, I'm pining a little.). And I haven't needed an ice pack for some time now. Maybe these don't sound like major accomplishments, but I remember what I felt like and I know I'm improving. Reflection in this area is a definite mood booster. It's always nice to notice improvement, especially from day-to-day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment